Training Assistant, G5
|Posting Title:||TRAINING ASSISTANT, G5|
|Job Code Title:||Training Assistant|
|Department/Office:||Department of Peace Operations|
|Posting Period:||03 July 2023 - 31 August 2023|
|Job Opening Number:||23-Human Resources-DPO-212839-R-Entebbe (R)|
This position is located in the Integrated Training
Service (ITS) within the Policy, Evaluation and Training Division (DPET)
in the Department of Peace Operations (DPO). The incumbent will report
to the Team Leader of the Civilian Pre-deployment Team, located at the
United Nations Entebbe Support Base in Uganda.
DPET is mandated to develop and disseminate the policy and doctrine guiding the work of Peacekeeping Operations. In addition, the division has the responsibility to evaluate, at the request of the heads of the departments, how those policies are being applied, gather lessons learned and best practices, and use that information to guide the development, coordination and delivery of standardized training, so as to complete the learning cycle. ITS specifically supports the mandate of DPET through the design, development and delivery of training.
Within limits of delegated authority, the Training Assistant is responsible for the following duties:
• Contributes to the design, organization and delivery of training and development programmes, including the Civilian Pre-deployment Training (CPT) course, for the enhancement of competencies and upgrading of staff technical skills and to meet mandate implementation.
• Delivers specialized CPT course sessions that meet cross-cutting training needs such as 'Women, Peace and Security'; 'Human rights' and/or related.
• Contributes to the design of specific training programmes to meet unique peacekeeping operational requirements and staff development needs.
• Contributes to the development of systems and methods for disseminating information to CPT participants on course requirements, including blended learning, self-study and other sources of learning.
• Collects and maintains statistical data on training activities and responds to queries and requests for information on training programmes.
• Contributes to the preparation and monitoring of budgetary allocations through regular reviews and performs budget tracking.
• Serves as focal point for coordination, monitoring and expedition of various development activities targeting the CPT Team and involving extensive liaison with other relevant offices.
• Drafts routine and adhoc outputs and correspondence, as required.
• Performs any other duties, as assigned.
Demonstrated ability to apply adult learning theory and methodologies
in the design, development, and delivery of training; Excellent
interpersonal skills; Ability to multitask and work under pressure with
close attention to detail; Knowledge of budget management and
methodologies; Knowledge of policies, processes and procedures
generally, and in particular those related to peacekeeping training,
staff development and learning as well as general office and
administrative support. Ability to work well with figures, undertake
basic research and gather information from standard sources, including
web-based sources. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates
professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious
and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving
results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
remains calm in stressful situations. Shows pride in work and in
achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of
subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments,
observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional
rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with
difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the
equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Job - Specific Qualification
A technical or vocational certificate in design and delivery of training to adults is required.
minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in the
field of design, development, delivery and evaluation of training
courses or related areas such as assessing training needs and
coordinating training programmes is required. The minimum years of
relevant experience is reduced three for candidates who possess a
first-level university degree or higher.
Experience delivering training and giving presentations to adults is required.
Experience with arranging administrative support and coordination for complex workshops, meeting, and/or conferences is required.
Experience working in a multicultural and/or international work environment is desirable.
Experience using MS Office, Access, Outlook is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.