Senior Manager – Tech and Digital Transformation at Tony Blair Institute for Global Change
Focus of the Role
We don’t just talk, we do. Lead the change with us.
At the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, we work with political leaders around the world to drive change. We help governments turn bold ideas into reality so they can deliver for their people. We do it by advising on strategy, policy and delivery, unlocking the power of technology across all three. And by sharing what we learn on the ground, so everyone can benefit. We do it to build more open, inclusive and prosperous countries for people everywhere.
We are a global team of nearly 800 changemakers, operating in more than 30 countries, across five continents. We are political strategists, policy experts, delivery practitioners, technology specialists and more. We speak more than 45 languages. We are working on over 100 projects, tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges. We’re all here at TBI to make a difference.
In a world of ever more complex challenges, we believe diversity of background and perspective is a strength. We pride ourselves on a culture that values and nurtures difference. We are dedicated to unlocking potential, not only for the countries we work in but also for each of our team members. No matter where you’re from or who you are, if you’re passionate about the transformative power of progressive politics, we invite you to build a better future with us.
TBI Rwanda is looking for a Senior Manager – Tech and Digital Transformation to advance an established, exciting tech programme with the government of Rwanda.
TBI has a legacy of successful advisory work at the centre of government in Rwanda. Within this framework, TBI has been working under the Ministry of ICT and Innovation in support of government-led tech projects across the ministries of health, agriculture, and environment, and some of their implementing agencies. Providing strategy, policy, and delivery advice, with technology at the heart of all three, TBI has been supporting the government in the realisation of its ambitious agenda.
The Senior Manager – Tech and Digital Transformation reports to the Country Head, Rwanda, and manages a number of team members to magnify the scale and impact of the established programme in line with GoR and TBI global strategies and ambitions. As part of this, the role will lead the programme and project management of the tech portfolio in Rwanda, accountable for planning, operationalising, tracking, and measurement of its impact as well as on required internal and external reporting against Objectives and Key Results.
Across responsibilities, the post holder will also work closely with TBI’s global divisions (Global Client Solutions, Strategy and Partnerships, Policy and Politics), as well as interfacing with other advisory tech leadership across TBI to support the sharing of lessons and best practice and leveraging the best of the Institute.
This is a senior role requiring an exceptional candidate with relevant expertise and experience with demonstrable impact delivering public tech transformation programmes, comprehensive experience developing relationships with government and/or industry in Rwanda, alongside relevant expertise in tech, proven experience in project management and the right skills, temperament, and drive to deliver in a complex and sensitive government environment.
We would consider supporting applicants not currently based in or with a right to work in the UK to relocate for this role.
We encourage early application as we reserve the right, if required, to close this role ahead of the date advertised.
- Strategy and Planning: Design, maintain and continually improve: (i) the country project’s strategy for tech transformation; and (ii) plans and tools to roll out the strategy from one tech domain to another, within identified government ministries and agencies as will be suggested by the client Minister of Information and Communication Technology and Innovation. Meanwhile, reporting to the Country Director, ensuring robust in-country mechanisms and communication channels for coordination with other TBI advisors in Rwanda. The postholder will also contribute to regional strategy, alongside and other strategic partnerships needs, in close collaboration with colleagues across the Institute.
- Scoping and Program Design: Working with the Country Director, the Rwanda Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and broader TBI teams, scope and identify programmatic opportunities and new projects for tech transformation in Rwanda. Bring your knowledge of technology solutions and government delivery to craft agile, impactful, bold project designs to be carried through to implementation.
- Government Relations: Establish effective and trusted relationships with relevant senior officials in government institutions and agencies delivering on TBI Rwanda’s Tech Projects. Maintain strong relationships with the Ministry of ICT and Innovation (including at Ministerial level) through delivery of priority projects.
- Execution and Monitoring: Establish, review, and maintain project goals, plans, proof points, and KPIs for TBI Rwanda’s tech projects. Serve as the focal point for tech for transformation in the country, including project and output quality control and design tools to support execution. Work closely with key delivery teams within identified government ministries and agencies as will be suggested by the client Minister of Information and Communication Technology and Innovation to deliver on tech projects. Report and engage with the Country Director, as well as the TBI Rwanda Senior Leadership Team (SLT) to drive delivery, ideate, troubleshoot, and manage TBI Rwanda’s tech portfolio.
- Knowledge transfer: Design, maintain and continually improve on processes to collaborate with key staff within identified government ministries and agencies as will be suggested by the client Minister of Information and Communication to deliver on key Rwanda’s tech projects. Work closely with these teams for knowledge transfer.
- People: Recruit and manage TBI Rwanda’s Tech Team. Shape and embody a culture that drives innovation and delivery. Provide quality control of new hires and ongoing development and mentoring. The post holder and team will be expected to play a key role in the broader community at TBI and will be expected to build strong working relationships working across matrixed functions. You will ensure harmony amongst Tech team and other country team members to uphold and maintain the OneTBI Rwanda Country Strategy.
- One TBI: The post holder will report into the Country Director, Rwanda and form part of the wider team and country programme. They will be matrixed on deliverables and work closely with the Deputy Country Head and the Delivery Manager on delivering on OneTBI Rwanda Country Strategy.
Key outcomes for the role
- Establishing effective and trusted relationships with senior governmental counterparts in close coordination with the Country Director and broader advisory team, including consolidating the relationship with the Ministry of ICT and Innovation in Rwanda (incl at Ministerial level) as regular contact;
- Tangible results delivered for the Government of Rwanda, including in areas of Ag Tech; Health Tech, Climate Tech, and innovation across inputs on strategy, policy, delivery advice and technology as an enabler;
- Leading a team of senior managers and advisors in the design and delivery of the government’s digitization and tech transformation priority interventions as per the established government and TBI work programmes, while working closely with TBI colleagues in country and globally to support identification of opportunities to magnify and scale impact and reach;
- Tech country programme planned against the country’s global strategic results framework, staffed with engaged and results oriented people, and effectively managed to deliver expected results with Ministries and key stakeholders.
- An operational workplan developed; tools in place and utilised to track and monitor status and impact across implementations using Monday.com or other institutional tools while leveraging effective and trusted relationships established with senior government staff involved in the programme of work;
We are looking for an experienced leader with:
- Experience in business operations, technology, consulting or advisory functions on Tech and Innovation
- Broad and comprehensive experience in management consulting or government advisory on tech
- Experience working in emerging markets, especially in Sub-Saharan Africa on tech. Prior work with the Government of Rwanda is highly desirable
- Experience in public affairs or government relations on tech and digital transformation
- An in-depth understanding of the tech policy and regulatory environment in the region
- The ability to work under pressure, and to coordinate with teams and multi-disciplinary advisors
- Strong communication and project management skills
- The ability to work flexibly and be adaptable, open to changing approaches in response to changing situations on the ground
- Proven understanding of the policy context, how to influence policy and the discretion and judgment needed to navigate a complex political environment
- Fluency in English is also a requirement, French and Kinyarwanda an advantage