Safeguarding Consultant at World University Service of Canada
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Location: Nairobi
- Job Field: Consultancy , NGO/Non-Profit
Specifically, the consultant will be responsible for the following:
- Working closely with the LEAP project Manager and Safeguarding Focal points, adapt the FCDO assessment tool/Checklist to assess policies, Guidelines, internal and external reporting, and escalation frameworks for partners (AVF, Xavier, DRC, FCA) and make recommendations on areas for improvement.
- Review project components to design and deliver bespoke 3 -day training for different project teams; refugee and host teams. (Head teachers, focal point teachers, Community mobilizers).
- Identify key areas for capacity building and prepare and deliver physical training for the program teams in safeguarding.
- Develop a safeguarding 3-day training guide that can be used by counselors to deliver refresher training for project teams. (A training manual with contextualized case studies and activities.)
- Design and deliver a bespoke 3-day Training of Trainers workshop for Project counselors
- Develop a work plan with a clear assigned Level of effort and deliverables.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of safeguarding visibility materials and outreach plans.
- In collaboration with the safeguarding officer and MERL teams, develop tools that support safeguarding Monitoring for different project components.
Summary priority areas:
- Priority area No. 1 Bespoke training for project teams
- Priority area No. 2 Brief report on the SG status on LEAP partners
- Priority area No. 3 Develop TOT training Guide for Counsellors
- Priority area No. 4 Safeguarding Monitoring tools
- An adapted Safeguarding checklist / Assessment tool.
- A brief report on the Safeguarding status of LEAP project partners with clear recommendations on areas to improve.
- Training content for project teams.
- Safeguarding reporting mechanism including adolescent-friendly reporting mechanism and disclosure procedures for LEAP partners based on the understanding of the Kakuma/ Kalobeyei contexT and particularly the referral process.
- TOT content for counselors on safeguarding.
- Simple and contextualized monitoring tools(Spot check) for WUSC and partner reporting tools.
- Training reports (including pre and post test analysis).
The Consultant should have:
- Significant and relevant experience in developing and implementing safeguarding policies and procedures in conflict-affected contexts for programs targeting adolescents and youth.
- Proven experience of facilitation of capacity strengthening and training on safeguarding.
- Demonstrated experience in developing concise and clear guidance and templates on safeguarding measures.
- Excellent oral and written communication in English.
- Strong knowledge and experience of sub-Saharan Africa and adolescent programming (particularly in the refugee context) preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relations with individuals of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
Key Skills and Competences
- Strong technical background (Safeguarding or Gender and Inclusion) with demonstrated experience developing training manuals / content for risk management, safe programs, and safeguarding (including PSEA) in development and humanitarian settings.
- Proven track record in developing training/learning modules, implementation guidance, and technical templates for diverse INGOs.
- Demonstrated skills in developing engaging and effective learning and development materials on PSEA, safeguarding, and quality and accountability.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- A solid understanding of best practices for content, tone, and style for an effective targeted communication.
- Experience in developing content and facilitating adult learning programmes.
- Ability to package information in the learning mythology to meet the needs of the audience.
- Ability to facilitate peer-to-peer interaction and social learning in a safe space.
Qualifications and experience
- Post graduate degree in social sciences, social work, human rights and preferably with a focus on protection/ child protection/ child rights. Relevant experience would compensate for lack of educational background
- Experience designing and implementing comprehensive safeguarding systems for aid/humanitarian organisations.
- Understanding of international best practice on safeguarding.
- Experience designing and implementing safeguarding referral pathways and confidential incident reporting systems within the refugee context.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to World University Service of Canada on docs.google.com to apply