Property Manager at ABSA Bank Limited
Dar es Salaam,
We are a diversified standalone African financial services group, delivering an integrated set of products and services across personal and business banking, corporate and investment banking, wealth, investment management and insurance.
Absa Group Limited is listed on the JSE and is one of Africa’s largest diversified financial services groups with a presence in 12 countries across the continent and around 41 000 employees. Absa Group Limited is listed on the JSE and is one of Africa’s largest diversified financial services groups with a presence in 12 countries across the continent and around 41 000 employees.
We own majority stakes in banks in Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Mozambique, the Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania (ABSA Bank in Tanzania and National Bank of Commerce), Uganda and Zambia. We also have representative offices in Namibia and Nigeria, as well as insurance operations in Botswana, Kenya, Mozambique, South Africa, Tanzania and Zambia.
Property Manager at ABSA Bank Limited August, 2023
locations Absa House - ABT
time type Full time
job requisition id R-15956810
Bring your possibility to life! Define your career with us
With over 100 years of rich history and strongly positioned as a local bank with regional and international expertise, a career with our family offers the opportunity to be part of this exciting growth journey, to reset our future and shape our destiny as a proudly African group.
My Career Development Portal: Wherever you are in your career, we are here for you. Design your future. Discover leading-edge guidance, tools and support to unlock your potential. You are Absa. You are possibility.
Responsible in delivering exceptional results/performance in daily management and maintenance of Absa Bank Tanzania real estate portfolio to the satisfaction of both the staff in respective locations, management, customers/clients as well as Regulatory requirements.
Main accountabilities and approximate time split
CRES Strategy and Engagement (30%)
- Ensure full compliance to policies, legislation and regulations, inclusive of Principle Risk compliance, preparation and monitoring of dispensation, waivers & breaches
- Ensure CRES Strategy is aligned to overall business strategy
- Develop detailed analysis and reporting of the Real Estate portfolio, maintenance costs and CRES projects to inform the Operations strategy
- Ensure governance is complied with at all times
- Participate and contribute to the annual and long-term planning and strategy sessions for Operations on analysis of past performance and best practice in the market
Property Management (40%)
- Ensure that property portfolios are appropriately managed on a day-to-day basis including oversight of both capital investment projects and engineering projects
- Ensure construction contractual service level obligations are met in line with respective business needs
- Premises accountability;
- Provision and maintenance of furniture, fittings and equipment, including periodic tracking and verification of fixed asset movement
- Disposal and swift execution of reactive and preventative maintenance of premises and site remedial/refurbishment activities
- Ensure lease information is complete and accurate, managing all lease events with appropriate approvals i.e. negotiations, renewals, termination and disposal
- Drive savings through process and cost efficiency; working in conjunction with overall Commercial Services Unit to proactively identify initiatives of reducing costs and initiate projects to implement the measures
- Oversee contractors’ invoices are verified and payments are made promptly
- Work closely with business areas to ensure that implementation projects are incepted and delivered, realising property benefit
- Together with The Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) Manager, ensure compliance with local and Group SHE regulations
Deliver service excellence to stakeholders (15%)
- All queries received are tracked and processed and any pending queries are escalated to the line manager with reason for not being able to accomplish
- Ensure third parties complaints are handled according to laid down procedures on complaint handling
- Institute and analyze periodical internal customer perception survey to improve customer satisfaction
- Maintain excellent liaison with other suppliers and internal customers (staff)
- Ensure 100% projects completed on time
- Develop meaningful MI that will assist the stakeholders in tracking performance
- Ensure availability of accurate and reliable information when requested
- Build and maintain an effective relationship between Commercial Services Unit and all other Business functions
Risk and Controls Objectives
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Absa Operational Risk Framework and internal Absa Policies and Standards
Manage risk and control effectively by applying applicable risk frameworks and embedding a positive risk culture
- Understanding of own role in the end to end processes in which you play a part, including applicable risks and controls.
- Adhere to Absa’s policies and procedures applicable to own role, demonstrating sound judgement and responsible risk management.
- Report all risk events / incidents / issues using the defined process for your business area and help to understand why these happened and how to prevent them in future.
- Proactively look for ways to improve the control environment by considering what could go wrong in the processes you operate and how errors could be prevented.
- Continuous and proactive engagement with regulatory bodies, unions where applicable
- All mandatory training completed to deadline
Technical skills / Competencies
- Tertiary qualification in the building sciences
- Professionally qualified to at least degree level
- Proven experience in project management
- Proven ability as self-starter, with track record of achievement of goals and targets
- Experience of interpretation and development of management information
- Experience of corporate real estate portfolio management
- Analytical and financial understanding of service cost models and lifetime cost of acquisition
Knowledge, Expertise and Experience
- Familiarity with property rental values, property service costs, valuation models, market benchmarks, etc
- Ability to work independently, effectively manage competing demands and priorities
- Good general awareness of the Bank as a whole, its range of activities, the property portfolio, and the impact of different types of activity on space/location requirements edge of the Bank’s products, services and policies
- Ability to interact with a variety of internal and external people in a professional manner that creates confidence in his/her knowledge and abilities and helps foster mutually satisfactory resolution to control gaps and issues
- Demonstrate the ability to think strategically and drive tactical execution
- Very good analytical and problem solving skills
- Negotiating skills
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a cross-functional team
- Ability to build positive relationships across multiple stakeholders, senior leadership team, and department heads, etc.
- Clear and agile thinking and analysis that leads to win-win innovative solutions while delivering on-time and on budget
- Poise and ability to act calmly and competently in high-pressure, high-stress situations.
- Exhibit excellent analytical skills, the ability to manage multiple projects under strict timelines, as well as the ability to work well in a demanding, dynamic environment and meet overall objectives.
- Must be a critical thinker, with strong problem-solving skills
- Flexibility as the job may demand working extended hours and/or during weekends
Absa Values and Behaviours represent the set of standards which governs the actions of all of us who work for the bank and against which the performance of every one of us in Absa are being assessed and rewarded:
- I drive high performance to achieve sustainable results
- I’m obsessed with customer
- I have an African heartbeat
I believe our people are our strengths
- Higher Diplomas: Business, Commerce and Management Studies (Required)