Programme, Policy & Business Development Lead (PPBDL) at ActionAid Rwanda (AAR)
RECRUITMENT OF ACTIONAID RWANDA (AAR) PROGRAMME, POLICY & BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT LEAD (PPBDL)
Position: Programme, Policy & Business Development Lead (PPBDL)
Reporting to: Executive Director (ED)
Line managing: Business Development and Donor engagement Coordinator, Sponsorship Coordinator, Program Quality Learning and Accountability Coordinator, Women Right, Policy and Advocacy Coordinator, Local Right Program and Supporter care Coordinator, Communication Officer and Project Coordinator.
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
ActionAid Rwanda (AAR) is a local non-Governmental organization and an Affiliate Member of ActionAid Global Federation, an Anti-Poverty Agency working with the poor. AAR has had its operations in Rwanda since 1982, due to effects of the 1994 Genocide Against Tutsi, AAR resumed its operations in 1997 as a full Country Program and has contributed towards eradication of Poverty and Injustice with a focus on tackling their root causes. AAR has a very strong commitment to supporting and empowering women and children as well as Promoting their Rights through Campaigns, Sensitizations and Advocacy.
AAR’s vision is a Country without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys their right to life of dignity and mission is work with people living in poverty with focus on women and girls to eradicate poverty and injustice.
Purpose of Role:
The Program, Policy & Business Development Lead (PPBDL) reports to the Executive Director. PPBDL is a member of senior management Team with high responsibility functions. These include strategic management, the development and management of all Programme, Policy advocacy activities at strategic level, and the incumbent is responsible for leading in the implementation of the Country Programme and Business development Policy through effective partnership fundraising and coordination of sponsorship work in the country Programme
The PPBD Lead will be responsible for leading advisory, motivating and supporting the Programme team to plan and manage activities aimed at achieving the goals and objectives of the ActionAid Rwanda. To provide strategic leadership on Policy & Advocacy issues arising from the Communities. He/she will also support initiatives, management, supervision, and guidance for Advocacy & Campaigns generated from grassroots whilst liaising closely with the Communications Manager.
The post-holder will be responsible for coordinating the Advocacy Working Group and will facilitate processes that enhance space for the poor in the National arena. PPBDL is on top of community level Governance issues from the entire Programme areas from the community-based work at the national level as well as linking to wider macroeconomic and governance issues including at the Africa and international level.
The Major Responsibilities Include:
Jobholder is part of the Senior Management team of AAR, which makes key strategic decisions regarding AAR. This requires the jobholder to:
- Contribute to the development and achievement of the AAR’s strategic objectives.
- Ensure that the long-term Programme, Policy and Business development strategy of the country Programme is viable.
- Keep the other members of the AAR Management Team informed about Programme & Business development matters.
- Provide updates of the department to Board and Senior Management to guide strategic decision
- Attend and participate in meetings or conferences of ActionAid as Requested.
Strategic Planning and Development
- Provide Strategic Support to the Organizational Leadership and the Senior Management Team to lead the development of both strategic and plans in accordance with Country Strategy Paper (CSP) and planning guidelines.
- Monitor the implementation of the Country Strategy Program ensuring short-term Programmes deliverables within the framework of the CSP
- Manage the review of the Country Strategy Program: Mid-term review of Country Strategy Program successfully conducted and on time.
- Support the various teams/sectors in the development and revision of strategic plans Undertake the review of any sector when due
- Manage the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Programmes and Projects in AAR Executive Programme
- Support the Programme / Project staff in the development and implementation of Programme support activities.
- Manage the development of project proposals in accordance with the CSP and donor guidelines
- Manage the timely appraisal and development of Line Managed staff
- Ensure the timely submission of good quality Programme reports as agreed with donors or in project proposal
- Manage the Annual Participatory Review and Reflection Process
Projects Management and reporting
- Liaise with Business development staff and other essential staff in Fundraising Proposals Development.
- Ensure Projects reports are submitted on time and queries calls for information from donors promptly acted on.
- Manage the evaluation of Programmes/projects
Development and implementation of AAR Resource Mobilization Policies, Strategies and Tools:
- Lead the development and implementation of the Affiliate Programme resource mobilization / fundraising strategy.
- Develop systems and structures for effective implementation of resource mobilization and fundraising.
- Coordinate and Lead resource mobilization effort and utilization of field programs and evaluating contract management processes of donor funded projects as per planned objectives.
- Participate in the international and regional initiatives, teams, and projects
- Contribute to the development of the Executive Programme as member of Senior Management Team
- Review and evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of the resource mobilization strategy
- Ensure availability of adequate resources to meet organizational commitments and funding needs
- Review and customize AA fundraising and sponsorship policies, and tools to support effective utilization and implementation at the country level
- Provide advice to management and Governance on fundraising
- Research and develop fundraising products to be marketed in Rwanda and elsewhere needed.
- Link up with various units to promote AAR’s work to attract donors and support within and outside Rwanda.
Implementing donor intelligence mechanisms and influencing development aid architecture:
- Develop and maintain an up-to-date donor intelligence system that provides information on donor funding and the link to Actionaid Rwanda’s work and Country Strategic Paper (CSP)
- Conduct annual donor scoping to inform donor focus and identify opportunities available to ActionAid International Rwanda and partners
- Support partners to identify potential donors to support their work
- Provide periodic information on the existence of funding available for AAR and partners
- Identify and lead on opportunities for consortium funding
- Identify new donors and or donor policy campaign targets
- Participate in development discourse to influence development aid agenda to improve the level and quality of development cooperation
- Lead and coordinate all process of writing/editing proposals in coordination with program staff.
Annual report and Documentation
- Support the documentation and sharing of experience in all Programmes within AAR, with partners and other stakeholders
- Represent AAR in alliances and networks both within and outside Rwanda as may be guided by Executive Director
- Contribute and capture ideas from the micro level work for the development of advocacy at the macro level while feeding macro level policy to inform our work at the micro level
- Manage the development, implementation and monitoring and documentation of the outcome of periodic advocacy plans
- Contribute to policy briefs and media strategies that inform stakeholders about the policy positions of ActionAid and partners
Policy & Advocacy
- Develop Advocacy plans regularly and ensure outcomes of advocacy activities documented and shared
- To provide a forum through which civil society and the public can make an input and contribute to the parliamentary policy making and legislative process
- Identify key issues and key collaborators for AAR advocacy work and conduct pro-poor analysis of policies and Programmes aimed at reforms that will have impact on the lives of the poor and excluded.
- Initiate, direct and co-ordinate the Programme activities relating to Parliaments or directed at reforms and policies impacting on poverty
- Identify areas of critical concern and within the priorities of the CSP for research and advocacy work aimed at policy influencing, policy input and initiatives and policy measures on poverty issues.
- Promote rights-based approach in advocating for citizen’s rights.
Human Resource Management
- Provide support to Staff overseen under the Unit with clear annual targets/Objectives for each staff of the Unit in consultation with the staff and conduct Quarterly/Annual Performance Appraisals Maintain ongoing monitoring of the performance of staff against targets and take corrective steps if targets are not well achieved.
- Providing Career Growth and Development support through Coaching and Mentoring.
- Handlings Programmes/Projects staff issues appropriately in consultation with Finance and People Management Lead and the Executive Director.
- Team Building, change Management and Motivation initiatives to ensure strong Programme /Projects teams.
- Ensure Programmes weekly and regular planned meetings take place and reports shared.
Collaboration with Partners
- Support the LRP and other Programme staff to strengthen networks and collaborations of AAR.
- Support AAR’s collaboration with government agencies to share information, experiences, influence them and/or build capacity
- Collaborate and exchange information with networks and other organizations in areas of common interest.
- Ensure that Programme activities are carried out within agreed budgets and Value for Money.
- Ensure the timely completion of Programme processes for the release of funds of donors and Grants to partners.
- Documents required for release of funds are submitted by dates agreed in each project.
Communications and Campaign
- Develop a communication strategy that will deepen the impact of communication work, identify key priorities, channels, audiences and messages to establish an appropriate public image for ActionAid Rwanda in line with ActionAid International values and culture
- Develop and manage a sound relationship with all sections of the media and ensure that any published material accurately reflects the views of AA Rwanda
- Encourage the development of appropriate research with a view to improving the quality of grassroot work and influencing change in policy to improve the quality of life for the poor and excluded ActionAid works in Rwanda
- Conceptualise and conduct local level campaigns to create connections between poor and excluded people to increase public awareness of, and support for their cause and grow our supporter base in Rwanda.
- Ensure that Child Sponsorship servicing, contract management and compliance is effectively carried out.
Interface with the Board/Management
- Play an active role & support the development of the Governance Manual with emphasis on input on Programme, Policy and Fundraising aspects.
- Participate in Board meetings and give necessary support and information to the Programme & Resources Mobilization Committee (s)- quarterly or other such reporting
- Plan for and organize Board/Management training when they become necessary.
- Be always prepared to engage and support the Board/Management in any other role and capacity or assignment for better governance and management of the CP.
Sexual Harassment Exploitation and Abuse (SHEA) and Safeguarding policies
- Ensure compliance of SHEA and Safeguarding Policy in place and adhered to by the Organization.
- Ensure Compliance of Assurance Policy within the ActionAid Rwanda and Partners and Stakeholders working with ActionAid Rwanda in the programme, policy, fundraising related policies.
- Always work towards ensuring that the Programme-Policy and Business Development department function is observing gender and Feminist Leadership Principles.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply on this Link: APPLICATON FORM FOR PROGRAMME-POLICY BUSINESS DEVT LEAD not later than Friday the 8th September 2023 at 5:00 pm. Indicate in the subject line: Programme, Policy & Business Development Lead
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ActionAid is an equal opportunity employer and candidates will be expected to embody ActionAid’s values and adhere to organization policies including the Safeguarding Policy and the Child Protection Policy, among other ActionAid policies.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Apply via this link