Are you passionate about human rights in Africa and want to be part of a global movement of human rights defenders? Do you want to work in an international environment with colleagues all over the world? Then you might be the one we are looking for.
About the role
Programme Officer is responsible to carry out and follow up on the
programme and long-term partnerships with human rights organisations in
Uganda and the region assigned for the role. The Programme Officer will
also have the possibility to identify, assess, and propose new
activities and partnerships relevant for the local and regional context.
Monitoring and analysing the human rights situation in Uganda and the
region constitute one of your key roles. The work should be carried out
in line with Civil Rights Defenders Strategy, the Department Plans
and working methods, including the budget.
The Programme Officer reports to the Africa Department Director.
The role offers wide variety of tasks such as:
- Conduct regular meetings – physical and virtual – with implementing partners.
- Follow up and supervise project activities and grants.
- Support partners in the development and implementation of project activities.
- Provide expertise and advice on the actions of CRD and work of our partners.
- Identify, assess, and propose new activities and partnerships relevant to the local situation.
- Managing or facilitating emergency funding for HRDs at risk.
- Organise training sessions, workshops, events, visits.
- Travel in the region, including for trainings, events, and partner visits.
- Initiate, provide advice on, and participate in advocacy actions.
- Initiate and participate in communications activities and media work.
- Design, develop proposals and concept notes for the Africa Department.
- Assist in developing relations with existing and potential donors.
- Establish and maintain contacts with relevant decision-makers and stakeholders.
As a person, you prefer to lead, motivate, and empower others
with the powers necessary to effectively reach common goals. You see to
the long-term significance and further consequences of things and act
accordingly. Furthermore, you like to engage in teamwork and contribute
constructively and through clear communication, you ensure that messages
are reached and that expectations are clear to all parties involved.
We assume that you share our values.
To be suitable for this role you have:
- A bachelor's degree in human Rights studies, Political Science, Law, International Relations or similar, including education on international human rights mechanisms.
- A minimum of 2 years working experience with human rights.
- Working experience in the country, preferably human rights related areas, and extensive knowledge of the human rights situation in the East and Horn of Africa.
- Documented experience of NGO-work, project management and/or advocacy work.
- A strong network in the local civil society, preferably in the human rights sector.
- Knowledge and experience in gender equality and intersectional perspectives.
- Extensive knowledge about and promotion of universal human rights principles and practices.
- Proficient in written and oral English (level C2).
- Excellent communication, writing and reporting skill.
- Proficiency in online and offline communication, virtual work, ability to use Microsoft and other platforms effectively is mandatory.
It is a merit if you have experience of voluntary work in human rights related activities; knowledge of digital, physical, and psychosocial safety and security and/or proficiency in multiple local languages.
About the employment
This is a full-time temporary employment (one-year contract)
with the possibility of extension depending on performance and
funding, starting November 1st, 2023 or according to agreement. As an
organisation, we strive for diversity and we see your background,
experience and personality as a contribution to the organisation. You
will be based in Kampala, Uganda.
Please apply as soon as possible as we recruit on an ongoing basis, but no later than August 14, 2023.
If you have any questions about the position, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.