Procurement Specialist at AKADEMIYA2063
AKADEMIYA2063 is an Africa-based non-profit research organization with headquarters in Kigali, Rwanda and a regional office in Dakar, Senegal. Inspired by the ambitions of Agenda 2063 and grounded in the recognition of the central importance of strong knowledge and evidence systems, the vision of AKADEMIYA2063 is an Africa with the expertise we need for the Africa we want. This expertise must be responsive to the continent’s needs for data and analysis to ensure high-quality policy design and execution. Inclusive, evidence-informed policymaking is key to meeting the continent’s development aspirations, creating wealth, and changing livelihoods for the better. AKADEMIYA2063’s overall mission is to create, across Africa and led from its headquarters in Rwanda, state-of-the-art technical capacities to support the efforts by the Member States of the African Union to achieve the key goals of the African Union’s Agenda 2063 of transforming national economies to boost growth and prosperity. Following from its vision and mission, the main goal of AKADEMIYA2063 is to help meet Africa’s needs at the continental, regional and national levels in terms of data, analytics, and mutual learning for the effective implementation of Agenda 2063 and the realization of its outcomes by a critical mass of countries. AKADEMIYA2063 strives to meet its goals through programs organized under five strategic areas—policy innovation, knowledge systems, capacity creation and deployment, operational support and data management, digital products, and technology—as well as partnerships and outreach activities. For more information, visit www.akademiya2063.org.
Position Title: Procurement Specialist
Department: Finance & Administration
Location: Kigali – Rwanda
Duration: 2 years (renewable)
AKADEMIYA2063 is seeking a Procurement Specialist who will ensure that procurement processes are in line with the organization’ goals, plans and strategies and in compliance with applicable procurement policies and guidelines. The Procurement Specialist will perform day-to-day procurement operations, including specialized and complex processes and functions, ensuring consistency, timeliness and conformity with relevant rules, procedures, and practices. He/ she will provide procedural guidance to staff across the Organization regarding procurement rules and procedures. He/she will work closely with program managers, finance teams, and suppliers to achieve the Organization’s mission and objectives. This position is based in Kigali, Rwanda, and interested applicants must already have the appropriate authorization to work in Rwanda.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with program managers and project teams to understand their procurement needs and create comprehensive procurement plans.
- Evaluate requests from internal departments and external partners and advise on compliance with the Organization’s and donor rules and regulations.
- Ensure that all procurement activities align with the organization’s policies, budget constraints, and program timelines.
- Monitor the implementation of the organization-wide procurement plan ensuring that objectives and priorities are met and on track
Sourcing and Supplier Selection:
- Identify potential suppliers/vendors.
- Prepare and issue requests for proposals/quotations.
- Establish suppliers’ selection criteria based on their capability, reliability, quality, and cost-effectiveness.
- Lead the process of supplier selection and negotiation of contracts, seeking favorable terms and conditions for the Organization.
- Draft and manage contracts with suppliers, including service agreements, purchase orders, and other procurement-related documents.
- Prepare and issue long-term agreements (LTAs) for goods and services.
- Monitor supplier performance and resolve any issues or disputes that may arise during the contract period.
Logistics and Delivery:
- Ensure the smooth running of purchasing operations, including the ordering and delivery of goods and services.
- Inspect and evaluate the quality of purchased items and resolve shortcomings.
- Track the shipment of ordered items with shipping companies and liaise with local authorities for tax exemption and timely customs clearance of goods when needed.
Reporting and Communication:
- Maintain the database of pre-qualified and evaluated suppliers.
- Maintain and monitor the overall activities of procurement, logistics, and contracting services for the organization and provide reports, data, and statistics as needed.
- Prepare regular procurement reports for management, highlighting key metrics, cost savings, and potential areas for improvement.
- Identify and mitigate potential risks related to procurement, such as supply chain disruptions, fraud, or conflicts of interest.
- Implement risk management strategies to safeguard the organization’s interests.
- Provide training and capacity-building to staff involved in procurement activities on procurement policies, procedures, and compliance requirements.
- Promote awareness of best practices and ethical standards in procurement.
- Act as secretary for the procurement committee.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain management, business administration, or a related field.
- Minimum 5 years’ related work experience.
- Experience in international, public procurement or contracts and supplier management is highly desirable.
- Experience with Donor procurement, finance and contracting regulations and procedures will be a decided advantage (i.e., USAID – GIZ etc.…)
- Certification in CIPS, procurement, forecasting, or similar preferred.
- Proven experience and track record in successfully managing bid processes for goods and services.
- Knowledge of legal aspects of contract management is an asset.
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office (in particular, applications related to database and data analysis, E-filing system and other software applications is required.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with purchasing and resource planning systems.
Key performance drivers:
- Timely coordination, facilitation and implementation of procurement activities based on procurement plans and available budget.
- Timely and quality processing of purchase orders.
- Timely delivery of services by administration team
- Proper and accurate maintenance of files and databases, documents are easily retrievable.
- Timely and quality advice to employees.
- Regular dissemination and sharing of best practices/lessons learned on procurement management.
Submission of Applications
If you are interested in this position, please send your detailed e-mail application, CV, and cover letter, in English, by August 31st, 2023, to email@example.com. Please include the position title in the subject line.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- We thank all applicants for their interest in working for AKADEMIYA2063, due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- This Job Description only serves as a guide for the available position. AKADEMIYA2063 reserves the right to change, revise, omit, and add in part / in whole to this document.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- AKADEMIYA2063 is an equal opportunity employer and offers an attractive and challenging working environment with opportunities for skill enhancement.
- By sending an application, candidates give consent for their personal data to be processed solely for applicable recruitment procedures.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for AKADEMIYA2063, due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted