MONITORING & EVALUATION TEAM LEAD
Reports to: Director of Monitoring and Evaluation and Community Health Services
Location: Kigutu, Burundi
Village Health Works (VHW) is a non-profit NGO based in Kigutu, Bururi Province whose mission is to
provide quality, compassionate health care in a dignified environment while treating the root causes of
illness, poverty, violence, and neglect in collaboration with those we serve. VHW approach integrates
clinical services with education, food security, economic development, environmental protection, music,
and the arts. Currently, VHW operates a comprehensive health center with a 50-bed low-acuity inpatient
service. Our inpatient service provides basic adult and pediatric care, treatment of malnutrition, minor
surgery cases and a TB isolation ward.
VHW is expanding to provide comprehensive medical care including surgical and obstetrical services in
the region. Integral to the success of this project will be our ability to accurately collect data about our
work and the people we serve to enable data-driven, timely decision-making planning.
The M&E Lead will work under the direction of Director of Monitoring and Evaluation and Community
Health Services to support the implementation of VHW Clinical, community health and Education
initiatives leading towards organizational program effectiveness and donor compliance. He/she will be
responsible for development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation strategies, frameworks,
and tools that will ensure accurate and timely information and feedback to stakeholders, and for planning
and conducting of data quality assurance and monitoring activities and reports. The incumbent will in
collaboration with the Director occasionally liaise with the Country Director in all M&E support activities
that include quarterly, semiannual, and annual report writing to the Donor.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership and Supervision - 15%
• Supervise and mentor the M&E team including Data Capturers.
• Lead for internal and external reporting activities.
• With the Program Director to facilitate the monthly work plan reviews and updates
• Provide guidance in knowledge management for all VHW programs (Health, education, food
security and community health services).
Program design and development - 20%
• Provide technical oversight in developing and implementing evaluation activities.
• Provide support training staff to strengthen the monitoring and evaluation components of the
Monitoring and Evaluation-40%
• In collaboration with the Mental Health team, provide management of M&E activities in the
• Liaise with staff (as relevant) to ensure that lessons learned and recommendations from M&E
activities are used to modify existing programmes and in the design of new activities.
• Assist with the evaluation of current indicators and the identification of new ones in liaison
with the director.
• Monitor data collection, collation, storage, analysis, and reporting ensuring that data is audit
• Maintain quality monitoring system to enable the generation of reports to donors and other
• Ensure program staff are using data collected to make informed and timely decisions related
to program implementation.
Capacity building and training - 5%
• Support data capturers, program managers and staff to increase their technical capacity in
data collection and management.
Reporting Responsibilities- 20%
• Compile data and prepare reports for submission to the Donor.
• Assist with ad hoc donor requests.
• Support fundraising processes.
Required Education, Training & Experience:
• Master of Public Health (MPH) with 3+ years of relevant work experience.
• A qualification in project management and training in M&E a must.
• Proven data management and health programming experience
• Knowledge of statistical analysis and visualization software, and skills in quantitative and
qualitative data collection and analysis highly desirable.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Power BI and management of mobile e-health tools preferable but
not a must.
• Demonstrated ability to design and manage M&E activities.
• Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a diverse team.
• A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a high profile,
• Strong written and oral communication skills with a demonstrated ability to review,
synthesize information and produce quality reports.
• Experience with conducting operational research, publication, evaluating and reporting on
programs impact strongly preferred.
How to apply
Qualified candidates are encouraged to immediately submit a CV and a thoughtful cover letter outlining
why this position is of interest, exactly how your experience matches the qualifications stated and what
you believe differentiates you from other candidates. Additionally, please provide the salary range you
are seeking. Submissions without cover letters and salary requirements will not be considered.
Submissions should be in English and sent to: email@example.com
Please include “Monitoring & Evaluation Team Lead” in the subject line of your email.
Please note: Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted until the position is filled.
Village Health Works considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, color, religion,
gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran or military status.