Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
Dar es salaam,
Date: 18 Jul 2023
Location: Dar es salaam, Tanzania
Company: Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 85 years, and are now active in more than 80 countries.
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. Plan has over 80 years’ experience and works in more than 75 countries across the world. We strive for a just world, working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners.Plan International has been working in Tanzania since 1991. Our work supports marginalised children and youth, especially adolescent girls, to grow up physically and mentally healthy and ready to shape their future. We create an enabling environment and empower girls to be active drivers of change in realising their rights. We prioritise working with partners, and ensuring all of our work is evidence based.Plan Tanzania has lunched new country strategy and its programme results framework to guide evidence based and quality programme delivery to communities. The programmes include development and humanitarians mainly Health (Maternal Neonatal Child Health, Sexual Reproductive Health and Nutrition), Education, Water and Sanitation (including Menstrual Hygiene Management), Youth Economic Empowerment, and Child Protection. These programmes are in in 16 districts within ten regions across the country – Dar es Salaam, Pwani, Mwanza, Geita, Rukwa, Dodoma, Morogoro, Lindi, Mtwara and Mara. MERL department including the proposed roles is responsible to monitor and evaluate effectiveness and results of the programmes/projects for all the thematic, to inform evidence-based programming and influencing work, and to be accountable to National offices, donors, Government of Tanzania, and national and local stakeholders we are working with.
The position holder for the role of M&E officer will assist M&ERL administrative and technical of all projects (grants and sponsorship funded), mainly in M&E implementation and usage of qualitative and quantitative evaluation and assessments and related deliverables. The officer is responsible for PMERL systems inputs and usage, and works closely with MERL specialist and project implementers at field levels, including assisting project staff of partner organizations in the areas of monitoring and evaluation. This position has no direct reports.
Dimensions of the Role
Assisting staff with Results based monitoring and evaluation and reporting, implement analytical works both quantitative and qualitative, and work on Results based reporting in alignment with country strategy and areas of global distinctiveness and donors’ requirements, and evaluation and research implementation, tracking of beneficiaries’ trends, and outcomes performance per each thematic over the years of implementation.
Typical Responsibilities - Key End Results of Position:
MERL design and contextualization
- Assist review consultancy bids as support to programs and M&E department,
- Support recruitment, engagement, and supportive supervision of external evaluators for quality and ethical evaluations and reports
- Coordinate review of external evaluation technical proposals, Inception reports, questionnaires for data collection, methodologies suggested for studies, and analytical frameworks to align with Plan and project results expectations.
- Plan and implement stakeholder’s consultation for grants and SPAD proposal development, this is to work with Business development department
- Assist M&E specialist in design of routine data collection tools based on the outputs indicators and implement data gathering
MERL Planning and Implementation
- Assist Planning and implementing data collection for Mini assessments and updating intermediary outcome indicators for the assigned thematic/sponsorship work
- Assist in development of Results framework and M&E tools and planning and providing capacity building to related staff on their usage.
- Implement data collection and initial analysis for CSP indicators as per assigned AOGD theme
- Assist M&E Specialist to plan and coordinate beneficiaries’ tracking of all projects and programmes, ensure counting 100 million reasons
- Engages with Project and partner staff for collection of sex-disaggregated data/ case studies/success stories, as per assigned AOGD thematic
- Implement Partners versifications annually, and Organization capacity assessment as per demands
PMERL System and other Programme database
- Responsible for data uploading in PMERL system as per assigned AOGD thematic projects and programs
- Coordinate M&E staff PMERL system data management meetings weekly and monthly meeting, and provide updates as required
- Assist in tracking of learnings and implementation of evaluations recommendations
- Represent M&E department in YODA Country taskforce
- Ensure data collection and quality data entry in MIS SAVIX and YES! ME
Analytical work and Data processing
- Assist in Digitalization of data collection tools, support data validation and cleansing;
- Support M&E specialist in Quantitative data verification, analysis and processing for quality assurance and integrity
- Assist management of basic quantitative datasets as per assigned thematic AOGDs programmes
M&E Capacity Building
- Support trainings to PUs and partner staff in Results based programming and monitoring and evaluation approaches to inform projects’ routine results
- Support Project Coordinators and CDFs (frontline workers) with development of M&E tools and training pretest and posttest to assesses beneficiaries knowledge change
Documentation and Reporting
- Assist MERL specialist in analysis of indicators performance of grants projects and development of dissemination package, and facilitate to programmes
- Assist consolidation of narrative reporting to donors and Government, and Plan International
- The position reports to Head M&E specialist.
- This position will work closely implementers at PUs/projects.
- Implementing partners (for DQA and capacity building)
- External Consultants
- Functional networks within Plan
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
Gained through education, training, & experience
Required experience and Qualifications
- A Bachelor degree in International Development or another relevant field preferred.
- More than 5 years of relevant field-based M&E experience, including significant time in monitoring and evaluation for development, research experience is an asset.
- Minimum of 5 years of providing training, and in a supervisory and/or management role, in monitoring and evaluation to all levels of stakeholders;
- Experiences in M&E of Education projects, Child protection, projects, and VSLA projects, and youth empowerment Projects.
- Ability to use cost effective and online applications for mobile data collection and data management
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability and willingness to travel within the supported districts
- This position requires high computer literacy with a full knowledge of office applications, i.e. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet and statistical packages such as SPSS, STATA, Epi Info and others related packages.
- Fluent written and spoken English language skills required.
- Experience with rights based participatory MER approaches including social audits.
- Basic knowledge of the M&E and preferably minimum 5 years of experience in Non-profit making organisation
- Basic Data Analytical and strategic planning
- Reasonable communication skills appropriate to the audience, particularly English language skills (oral /written)
- Relevant computer skills and use of data analytical applications
- Ability to adopt with local environment
- Hardworking with capacity to work independently with minimum supervision
- Honest, integrity, open and transparent personality.
- Team player
- Working towards achieving a team goal
- Respect leadership
- Persuasive and able to work with different cultural settings
- Motivated, energetic and strives to develop and support others
- Result oriented
- Working for the best interest of the organisation and children
- Appreciate of child rights and gender equality
- Working with the project team and ensure project results are achieved timely without compromising with quality
- Maintain important relationships
- Plan and schedule own work, interpreting instructions and selecting appropriate methods/tools for delivery.
- Operate in a high-pressure deadline-driven environment with professionalism