Manager, Impact and Organisational Performance
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND , MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 5 years
- Location Nairobi
- Job Field Data Science / Research , Project Management
- The Manager, Impact and Organisational Performance will support the Director, Results and Impact to deliver a broad portfolio of work spanning strategy, results measurement, donor engagement, evaluation and research, and organisational performance. The Manager will contribute to the development and updating of a clear Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Strategy for TMA’s Strategy 3 and the effort to secure the resources required to deliver on the Strategy’s commitments. The Manager will also support the Director in reporting the results of TMA’s monitoring, evaluation and research based on its Results Framework to donors and engaging them on all MEL and research matters, including on value-for-money. The job holder will work with the Director, Results and Impact and the Human Resources team to support the implementation of an effective organisational performance framework in TMA and ensure that timely data is available on progress against agreed objectives for TMA programmes. The Manager will develop effective working relationships with colleagues in the Programme Delivery Hub (PDH) and liaise closely with the Results Team Lead in the PDH on programme and project-related MEL.
Roles and responsibilities
Strategy Development and Implementation
- Support the development and updating of TMA’s Strategy 3 Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Strategy (MEL) Strategy and implementing the commitments agreed with donors.
- Support the development of the Strategy 3 Results Framework to ensure that it has the appropriate linkages between corporate, country and programme levels.
- Provide support to programme teams to ensure that TMA reports effectively using the established MEL frameworks to generate evidence on its performance against key impact and outcome targets and assist in reporting this to senior leadership and donors, working with the Communications team.
- Coordinate the annual theory of change (TOC) review sessions with programme teams to reflect on progress and refine TOCs based on implementation experience and MEL evidence.
- Coordinate with the PDH Results team to facilitate the Quarterly Strategic Review sessions that are aimed at providing reflections on progress towards the implementation and delivery of key project outputs and the progress of achievement of planned intermediate outcomes and outcomes.
- Measurement and Reporting of Corporate-Level Results and Value-for-Money (VfM)
- Provide support to the quality assurance process for the production of TMA’s biannual reports and provide continuous support to the lead author within the PDH to ensure that the final product is of high quality.
- Compile relevant data required to report TMA’s impact, outcome and intermediate outcome level results working with the Results team to support reporting efforts to senior leadership, donors, and partners.
- Support the Director, Results and Impact with the commissioning, managing and quality assurance of all external consultancy contracts required to gather the data to report TMA’s corporate-level results.
- Support the gathering of the data needed to report against the VfM indicators detailed in TMA’s approved MEL Strategy.
- Liaise with the Results Team Leader in the PDH to ensure that the programme and project level data to support corporate-level results reporting is provided.
- Prepare reports, updates and Evaluation Committee papers as required to keep donors abreast of MEL developments and thinking in TMA.
Evaluation and Research
- Support the Director, Results and Impact with the commissioning, managing and quality assurance of all thematic evaluations and priority research projects detailed in the approved MEL Strategy.
- Support the Director, Results and Impact to manage the completion of evaluability assessments undertaken to inform the design of TMA’s thematic evaluations.
- Support the Director, Results and Impact with identifying future areas of research which will add to TMA’s body of knowledge, particularly in relation to closing knowledge gaps in TMA’s theories of change.
- Assist with documenting best practices, lessons learned, and project processes to support project learning agenda and knowledge management.
- Support the distillation and synthesis of key findings from TMA’s thematic evaluations and research, and assist reporting these to senior leadership, donors, partners and the wider development community.
- Liaise with TMA’s communications unit to ensure the main findings and learning from independent evaluations and research are shared with wider audiences.
- Support the efforts to implement the organisational performance system in TMA based on the Objective Key Results (OKR) approach with guidance provided to programme teams on the establishment of acceptable key results at the start of the financial year.
- Undertake quarterly reviews of submitted OKRs from programme teams to ensure that the progress reported matches stated key results.
- Monitor the TRIMS OKRs reporting system to generate quarterly and annual progress reports against OKRs for senior leadership on a quarterly basis.
- Support the Director, Results and Impact working with the PDH Results team to facilitate the Quarterly Strategic Review sessions that are aimed at providing reflections on progress towards the implementation and delivery of key project outputs and the progress of achievement of planned intermediate outcomes and outcomes.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of training materials and guidance for TMA staff and partners on various aspects of MEL.
The job holder is further expected to promote and adhere to TMA’s core values and ensure compliance with organisational policies and procedures. The job holder will:
- Apply the highest standards of controls and risk management practices and behaviours and embed a positive risk and control culture.
- Demonstrate prudence, sound judgement and appropriate and timely escalations in management of all types of risk (including fraud risk) applicable to my role.
- Understand and comply with the relevant end-to-end processes including applicable risks and controls.
- Seek to identify, understand and escalate risk events/incidents/ issues on a timely basis focusing on fixing root-causes and taking ownership of identified mitigating actions.
- Complete all relevant mandatory trainings within the stipulated timelines.
- Manage relationships and communicates with internal and external stakeholders including donors, partners and service providers and clearly articulates project and programme scope, timeline, budget, risks and deliverables.
- Ensure implementation of minimum standards on reporting gender disaggregated data
- Contribute to the development/revision of tools and procedures to document and share knowledge, incentivise staff/teams and enforce compliance and standards.
- Promote and adhere to TMA’s core values and ensure compliance with organisational policies and procedures.
- Maintain zero tolerance to bribery, fraud and corruption, and ensure the immediate reporting of any corruption or suspect behaviour that threatens TMA’s reputation.
- Adhere to the safeguarding policies and procedures and immediately report any safeguarding concerns.
- Undertake any other related tasks that may be assigned by the Line Manager from time to time.
- Effectively communicate programme progress and results to internal and external stakeholders and support in delivery of high-quality outputs to ensure that TMA’s mission and vision are well communicated to investors and stakeholders, and that TMA’s work motivates and inspires donors, implementing partners and other stakeholders.
Academic and professional qualifications
An undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline such as:
- International Development; Social Sciences; Political Science; Economics; Public or Business Administration/Management. OR a relevant post-graduate degree in a relevant discipline such as: International Development; Social Sciences; Political Science; Economics; Public or Business Administration/Management. Professional training in Monitoring and Evaluation is essential.
Undergraduate degree holders should have at least seven years of relevant working experience, postgraduate degree holders should at least five years of relevant working experience. Substantial experience with performance monitoring and evaluation of development programs and or research in a complex organisation is required in the East African context for at least five years. The role holder will also be expected to have experience of:
- Working with a range of internal and external stakeholders to broker solutions to complex problems.
- Project and programme reporting.
Deadline: Monday, 14 August 2023