Dar Es Salaam,
The Aga Khan University is a pioneering institution of higher education whose mission is to improve the quality of life in the developing world and beyond, through world-class teaching, research, and healthcare delivery. AKU educates students for local and global leadership from campuses and teaching hospitals in six countries, primarily in Asia and Africa. Aga Khan University generates new knowledge to solve problems that affect millions of people, especially the most vulnerable. The University is a private, not-for-profit institution and part of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.aku.edu).
Established in 2004, the Aga Khan University Medical College Tanzania seeks to provide high quality education for health professional leaders who will then go on to become reputable specialists generating a positive and lasting impact in the lives of their patients and in the communities they serve. It provides individuals with the opportunity to practice medicine at the highest level of education and research. The four-year training program leads to the award of a Master of Medicine in various specialties, including Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Paediatrics & Child Health, and General Surgery. Candidates are selected for programs based on merit and their commitment to mastering the 21st century skills necessary to excel in medicine. The teaching style is evidence-based and involves direct hands-on practice under the supervision of experienced faculty, utilizing state-of-the-art teaching and learning facilities at The Aga Khan Hospital in Dares Salaam, a Joint Commission International Accredited (JCIA) hospital.
Lecturer/Senior Instructor at Aga Khan University July, 2023
The Aga Khan University (AKU) invites applications for the following position based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania:
Lecturer/Senior Instructor- School of Nursing and Midwifery, Tanzania (SONAM)
- Implement the curriculum as approved by curriculum committee and regulatory authorities’ jurisdiction.
- Teach in classroom and clinical areas as assigned by the Associate Dean, SONAM-Tanzania.
- Prepare a master plan of clinical placements for students and disseminate as required.
- Monitor theoretical and clinical teaching activities.
- Provide academic support to students and colleagues. E.g., supervise and evaluate (peer-review) faculty performance as required: monitor faculty teaching and clinical hours to determine fair distribution of teaching loads.
- Compile all academic results and clinical evaluations at the end of the term, within given deadlines.
- Work with curriculum committee to improve courses based on feedback received.
- Ensure the quality of clinical learning opportunities for the various programmes (e.g., securing learning sights, preceptors etc)
- Initiate and maintain collaborations with clinical facilities.
- Actively participate in building the body of nursing knowledge through research and publication.
- Continuously improve the quality of own practice and keep abreast of academic discipline.
- Actively participate in the management and administrative activities of the University.
- Actively contribute to the development of the nursing profession nationally and regionally.
- Plan and/or assist with university ceremonies and functions pertaining to academic and social events.
- Orient new teachers to the programme and give necessary support and guidance.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Associate Dean, SONAM-Tanzania.
Professional skills, qualifications, and experience
- A doctorate degree in the relevant field
- Minimum of 3 years teaching experience as a Lecturer and 5 years and above clinical experience
- Expertise in relevant nursing/midwifery field
- A well-established record of research and publications
- Experience with curriculum and course development an added advantage
- Diploma or Certificate in education or its equivalent
- Current Registration with the Nursing Regulatory Body
- Good interpersonal/communication skills
- Good understanding of computer software’s and technology and digital teaching
- Ability to teach through a variety of strategies to effectively engage students in learning.
- Good organization and Counseling skills
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements of this position, please send your application package which should include an application letter and an updated CV to email@example.com Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application Close: 7th August 2023.
The Aga Khan University is an equal opportunity employer. Canvassing or direct lobbying to be recruited will construe to an automatic disqualification.