Human Resources Officer- Africa Region at The Nature Conservancy (TNC)
Dar es Salam,
Job ID 53858
Full/Part Time Full-Time
Can be based in Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, Zambia or Angola
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
Since establishing the Africa Program in 2007, The Nature Conservancy’s vision in Africa is to work towards fostering a sustainable future for people and nature, partnering with indigenous communities across 55 million acres on the continent. Our efforts are firmly rooted in people, leveraging scientific and technical expertise as we collaborate with governments and organizations to conserve and enhance Africa’s shared resources in the 9 countries we operate.
TNC’s work in Africa transcends three key pillars: securing ownership rights to lands and resources for indigenous people, strengthening leadership and resource management and helping communities value nature through a holistic appreciation of its benefits while increasing revenue streams for conservation efforts and socio-economic development. Together with our partners, we are witnessing critical milestones in integrated land and fisheries management, ocean and source water protection, energy development and sustainable food production, working together and strengthening our resolve in tackling global challenges such as climate change, habitat and biodiversity loss that stands to adversely impact the nearly 1.4 billion people that share Africa. In South Africa TNC works with government, private sector, NGOs, and community stakeholders to restore priority catchments and conserve important landscapes.
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Human Resource Officer is responsible for administering and maintaining HR systems, programs, procedures and plans according to HR policies and will provide support to all levels of personnel on various HR-related issues. The Human Resources Administrator will provide human resources support services in the following functions: employee relations, compensation, talent management, benefits, payroll, staff development and training, organizational development and recruiting. They will be responsible for administering and maintaining HR systems, programs, procedures and plans according to HR policies and will aid all levels of personnel on various HR-related issues. The position will partner with Human Resource supervisors and HR team to provide administrative HR support to ensure prompt delivery of HR services and adhere to best practices. This position will report to Human Resource Manager Africa Region and may be based in any of the following countries that TNC is registered, Zambia, Kenya or Angola, South Africa or Tanzania or Gabon.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR YOU
The HR Officer will serve as the support to the Africa HR Operations to enhance operations efficiency to achieve the desired strategy for Africa Business Unit.
- Provide day-to-day HR Administrative support in the areas of general staff queries, drafting travel request letters, new staff notification communications, milestone celebrations and new hires announcements.
- Support in day-to-day communications with the Africa BU staff on queries related to benefits administration and act as a liaison person with HR Services vendors.
- Ensure accurate staff data entry in the ERP and provide monthly reports.
- Keep abreast with the statutory requirements and submit mandatory government employee data requirements.
- Provide accurate and timely collation of staff data as appropriate for payroll processing.
- Manage appropriately all staff leave schedules collaboratively with the program supervisors.
- Effectively carry out timely off boarding processes with exiting staff and ensure all steps are followed through.
- Collaboratively administer all data and update learning systems regularly and in a timely manner.
- Support the BU HR Operations with any other administrative duties assigned.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in human resource management and 3 years HR related work experience or equivalent combination.
- Experience responding to HR related questions and problems from employees/management.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: database management and spreadsheet software; constructing and producing reports; data input, manipulation, and analysis.
- Experience working with MS Office software, HR information systems and analytics tools.
- Experience maintaining files, processing paperwork, data entry or related.
- Experience in matrix organizations and supporting multiple programs.
- Experience responding to employee or customer inquiries.
- Experience working with MS Office software and database software.
- Over 5 years HR related preferably in an INGO sector supporting multiple countries in the Africa Region
- Fluency in either French or Portuguese is desirable and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Experience supporting HR processes including payroll processing, Onboarding, learning and development, HRIS and HR Metrics and data analytics
- Solid knowledge of word processing, database management, and spreadsheet software, with ability to construct and produce reports, data input, manipulation, and analysis.
- Broad understanding of fundamental HR concepts, processes, and services.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- High level of confidentiality.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Time management skills.
- HRMS / ERP and Power BI usage experience.
- Active member of a registered professional HR body.
- Fluency in English and additional language where TNC operates, Portuguese / French language.
- May require fluency in foreign language(s) to support global operations.
What We Bring:
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, Pension/ Gratuity, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, and other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
To apply for Job ID 53858, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on September, 13, 2023. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.