Finance and Administration Manager at Land O’Lakes Venture37
Finance and Administration Manager – Kigali, Rwanda
Closing date: 30th August 2023
This position will work will all the Land O’Lakes-implemented projects in Rwanda. Currently, this includes the USAID – funded Cooperative Development Program, Feed the Future Rwanda Orora Wihaze, and USDA’s Trade in Agriculture Safely and Efficiently (TRASE).
USAID Cooperative Development works to advance cooperatives in Rwanda to improve the enabling environment, strengthen business capacity, and build resources to meet the evolving needs of the members of the cooperative businesses. The Venture37 team provides advice and technical assistance to apex organizations and then collaborates with the apex organizations to strengthen the business performance of primary cooperatives, enhancing self-reliance and business sustainability.
USAID Feed the Future Orora Wihaze targets transformation of poultry, fish, pig and goat value chains and cultivate local demand for animal source foods. Venture37 leads a consortium of four firms that operate as project team to deliver results using an innovative market systems development approach and aiming to empower micro, small and medium enterprises.
US Department of Agriculture TRASE project is expanding the trade of agricultural products domestically, regionally, and internationally in the East African Community, and has an expert advisor working in Rwanda.
The Finance and Administration Manager is responsible for the effective and efficient management of finance, grants, accounting, HR and administrative functions in the Rwanda office. This involves providing oversight to multiple US Government funded projects that are based in Rwanda. This position will oversee the accounting and financial reporting and will closely liaise with the US-based program management and finance teams to ensure program compliance with Venture37 and USG rules and regulations. The position will be based in Kigali, Rwanda.
- Oversee all administrative, logistical, and financial management for project and coordinate shared finance and administrative resourcing needs across Venture37’s portfolio of projects in Rwanda.
- Ensure all accounting transactions for the project are properly supported, documented, and are recorded in the accounting system timely and accurately.
- Supervise the project accountant in the use of the CostPoint Accounting System and complete reviews of various accounting reports to validate that all project transactions are processed accurately, including balance sheet reconciliations.
- Manage all project advances to staff and ensure they are accounted for and cleared per the accounting policies and procedures.
- Ensure local payroll and all related taxes are calculated and processed/paid timely and accurately and ensure that changes to salaries or supplemental payments are supported by appropriate documentation.
- Ensure accurate and timely project financial reports are prepared as required by the internal Finance and Accounting policies and donor rules and regulations.
- Monitor program spending by reviewing the monthly project status reports and other management reports for accuracy, impact, and potential adjustments.
- Lead the budget forecasting process for the project, ensuring that future budget forecasts are accurate and reviewed with the technical team.
- Ensure compliance with all Venture37 and donor financial and operational policies.
- Maintain strong internal control environment to safeguard organization assets.
- Coordinate all necessary audits, statutory requirements, and financial enquiries from USAID, the Government of Rwanda and HQ; including tax reporting as required by local law.
- Support Grants Specialist and HQ-based Program Management Team in forecasting, awarding and monitoring grants to Rwandan entities in compliance with USG regulations and Venture37’s policies.
- Ensure registration requirements are met each year and registration renewal is documented; and
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the Chief of Party with a dotted line to the home office Director of Finance and Administration. This position will oversee the Grants Specialist; as well as an Accountant and HR/Office Administrator, who provide shared finance and administrative services to both projects in Rwanda.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- A university degree in finance, accounting, or business administration
- Accounting certification(s)
- Minimum of 5 years in a relevant accounting and financial management role
- Accounting software user experience
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint,
- Previous experience in managing U.S. Government cooperative agreements and/or contracts.
- Excellent inter-personal skills managing people in complex projects while under tight deadline schedules.
- Professional proficiency in both Kinyarwanda and English
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience with USAID subawards and/or grants under contract
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls will be accepted.
Land O’Lakes Venture37 will never ask you for personable identifiable information, and we will never request money or payment during the recruitment or employment process.
Land O’Lakes Venture37 is an equal opportunity employer and an organization striving to help global communities thrive through agriculture. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status, among other factors. Our culture values a diversity of voices. So, bring us your unique experiences, your workstyle, and your dreams — they’ll only make us stronger.