Employee Relations Specialist
--ENGIE Energy Access--
Employee Relations Specialist
Requisition ID: 10326
Job Title: Employee Relations Specialist
Department: Human Resources
Reporting line: Head of Human Resources
Location: Kampala, Uganda
About ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is the leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa. The company develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGO solar home systems are financed through affordable instalments from $0.19 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities. With over 1,800 employees, operations in nine countries across Africa (Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1.8 million customers and more than 9 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to impact 20 million lives across Africa by 2025.
ENGIE Energy Access Uganda is seeking an employee relations Specialist to join the Human Resources Team. The Employee Relations Specialist is responsible for managing Employee relations cases and investigations and is expected to demonstrate a clear understanding of legal compliance, applicable workplace laws, regulations, and EEA Uganda policies and procedures with the aim of fostering a conducive work and culture/environment for seamless business operations and employee growth and productivity.
Process and policy compliance
- Advise EEA leadership team on employment actions to ensure legal compliance with applicable regulations, and provides guidance on EEA policies, procedures, and compliance.
- Collating and analyzing employee feedback across all levels on a regular basis and revising people programs and policies to generate more positive outcomes.
- Ensuring the Company’s treatment of employees is consistent with its core business values and objectives.
- Partnering with both senior business stakeholders and HR teams to develop and implement Employee Relations best practices and programs.
Grievance management and negotiations
- Be the lead person in the investigation of any employee disciplinary matters relating to workplace complaints such as discrimination, harassment, retaliation, hostile work environment and policy violation.
- Represents organization in contract negotiations, meetings, and negotiations with employee and labor organizations.
- Handling employee complaints, managing grievance procedures and facilitating counselling in conjunction with other stakeholders.
- Investigating and resolving complex or critical employee relations issues in a timely and effective manner.
- Participating in and/or leading projects focused on continuous improvement.
Continuous Process improvement
- Keep up to date with the existing employment labor law related trends and ensuring internal alignment with our policies and processes.
- Use surveys, interviews, and other studies to conduct research regarding human resource policies, support and other employment issues and makes recommendations on changes.
- Maintain good communication protocols for dealing with managers and staff to ensure that information delivered is relevant, appropriate and on time in line with EEA communication protocols.
- Conduct exit interviews, analysing trends or opportunities for feedback or improvement particularly in areas related to employee engagement.
- 5 years of professional experience with at least three years in employee relations preferred OR it’s equivalent through training, education, and other experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Thorough understanding of state and employment laws concerning labor relations.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply the appropriate sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations and policies.
- Analytical skills with an eye for detail.
- Thorough understanding of negotiation techniques.
- Thorough understanding of dispute resolution and compensation administration.
- High levels of emotional intelligence with the ability to remain tactful, calm, and persuasive in controversial and/or confrontational situations.
- Knowledge of Ugandan Labor Legislation and ensuring adherence.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Empathetic, strategic thinker and problem solver.
- Bachelors degree in Employee Relations, Human Resources or related field required.
- Proficient in written and spoken English.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however due to the large volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!
Business Unit: GBU Flexible Gen & RetailDivision: Energy AccessLegal Entity: FENIX INTERNATIONAL UGANDA LIMITED COMPANYContract Type: PermanentProfessional Experience: Skilled ( >3 experience <15 years)Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree