Deputy Chief of Party-Operations (DCOP-Ops), USAID/DRC Peacebuilding and Biodiversity Conservation
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Closing date:September 2, 2023
Management Systems International (MSI), a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area management consultancy with a 40-year history of delivering results for our clients. Our expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation; democracy and governance; peace and stability; rule of law and accountability; education; gender and inclusion; strategic communications; and leadership and organizational development. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Colombia, Indonesia, Jordan, Kenya, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Syria and Ukraine, and works domestically. We support clients ranging from the U.S. Government (e.g., the U.S. Agency for International Development, U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Departments of State and Labor, and the Millennium Challenge Corporation) to large bilateral and multilateral donors (e.g., the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program). We also work with national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
MSI is pursuing the USAID’s building and enabling environment for resilient communities and sustainable livelihoods in the Mbomou-Uele Region activity. The purpose of this program is to support conflict prevention activities while creating and strengthening community resilience and social cohesion. On a parallel track, the activity will address the threats and drivers for biodiversity conservation in the Mbomou-Uele region (northeastern DRC and southeastern Central African Republic (CAR).
The Deputy Chief of Party-Operations (DCOP-Ops), under the overall direction of the Chief of Party (COP), will oversee and manage operations for the project and will work in close collaboration with human resources, operations, finance, logistics, security, and procurement staff ensuring these functions are fully aligned with programmatic priorities and objectives. The ideal candidate will support the COP and technical leadership to ensure that project activities are responsive to the Congolese context and to USAID objectives for the project. This will be a full-time position based in Kinshasa, DRC. This position is contingent upon award.
**Please note: Congolese citizens are highly encouraged to apply**
- Provide oversight in the areas of operations, administration, human resources, logistics, procurement, budgeting and financial accounting, IT, and translation.
- Oversee grants and sub-contracts in compliance with MSI and USAID policies and regulations.
- Build and maintain strong working relations with key internal and external stakeholders, beneficiaries, prime and subcontractors, suppliers and partners. Provide effective and timely responses to inquiries and concerns.
- Supervise the daily financial operations of the contract, timesheet recording, reporting to the client on the financial aspects of the project, and daily monitoring of obligations, budgets, and expenditures.
- Establish business conduct standards and procedures in compliance with MSI and USAID standards, and ensures staff are regularly trained in this area, including the establishment and use of systems and internal controls to reduce risk and exposure to vulnerabilities.
- Support safety and security of project staff and property.
- Serve as Acting Chief of Party in their absence, ensuring smooth and effective implementation of activities in the absence of the COP.
- Bachelor’s degree in international development or other relevant field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Seven (7) years of professional management experience in USAID-funded project administration and backstopping, including human resources, finance, compliance, and grants administration.
- Demonstrated capability to communicate effectively and develop relationships with communities and government officials.
- Expertise in USAID rules and regulations (ADS, FAR) and USAID procurement regulations (22 CFR 228).
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with national and local government counterparts and civil society organizations.
- Prior experience in the region; DRC and CAR experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and written/oral communication skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French required.
At MSI Tetra Tech, health and safety play a vital role in our success. MSI Tetra Tech’s employees work together to comply with all applicable health & safety practices and protocols, including health orders and regulations related to COVID-19 that are mandated by local, state and federal authorities.
MSI is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. We strive to develop and maintain a culture that honors the perspectives and identities of our employees, our communities and those impacted by our work.
We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
MSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action/Americans with Disabilities/Veterans Employer.
MSI is dedicated to hiring an inclusive workforce. If you would like to request reasonable accommodations during the application process, please email MSI.Dept.HRRecruiting@tetratechinc.onmicrosoft.com with “Reasonable Accommodations” in the title. Our recruitment team looks forward to engaging in an interactive process to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
How to Apply
To apply, please visit https://tetratech.referrals.selectminds.com/msi/jobs/deputy-chief-of-party-operations-dcop-ops-usaid-drc-peacebuilding-and-biodiversity-conservation-democratic-republic-of-congo-drc-35983