Conservation and Research Officer at Akagera Management Company
Akagera Management Company Ltd (AMC Ltd) was created from the agreement between African Parks and Rwanda Development Board to manage Akagera National Park. AMC Ltd is seeking to recruit a suitable candidate to fill the post of Conservation and Research Officer in Akagera National Park. The candidate must be a Rwandan, technically skilled with good problem-solving ability, and must be enthusiastic, motivated, and reliable.
JOB TITLE: Conservation and Research Officer
REPORTING TO: Conservation and Research Assistant
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Support and participate in conservation research activities, data collection, and ecological monitoring in Akagera National Park (ANP). Support special projects and conservation initiatives, including in neighboring communities. Increase the ecological and scientific understanding of Akagera’s ecosystems. Support other departments at the park through data sharing and collaboration. Document and file all initiatives and produce reports on activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out, support, and participate in biodiversity surveys and data collection to answer key ecological questions in and around ANP.
- Collate data received from various data collection efforts and other departments to allow efficient use of data in making informed management decisions.
- Ensure all reports are submitted timely and correctly. Compile and summarize/analyze data.
- Support the process of field data collection, compilation, and generation of outputs to serve management decisions. Help to improve processes where appropriate.
- Instill professionalism in other members of the department and any other workmate. Always meet deadlines, uphold commitments, and support other staff members whenever possible.
- Participate in activities that promote understanding of ecology and instill pride in conservation in the communities through sharing of findings and contributing to educational programs.
- Monitoring of key species and protection of wildlife.
- Documenting processes, as well as backing up and archiving data; ensuring data storage is safe and secure.
- Participate in the development and implementation of management plans.
- Support student interns and researchers in ANP.
- Security of all company assets.
- Visually illustrate work carried out.
- Build internal capacity and understanding of ecology, generally, and Akagera’s ecosystems through sharing and presentation of information to other staff and colleagues.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Minimum Education and Qualification Required
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in ecology, protected areas’ management, biodiversity conservation, or equivalent. Master’s degree or other post-graduate education preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in ecological monitoring, conservation research, wildlife management, or related research fields.
- Experience of work in other protected areas or National Parks.
- Experience in scientific writing demonstrated by (co)-authorship in peer-reviewed journals.
- Fluent in English and/or French/Kinyarwanda.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and be flexible.
- Computer literate, including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and basic computer-based statistical packages (such as Rstudio, Presence, Distance,) and ArcGIS.
- Experience with using camera traps, VHF telemetry, handheld GPS units, and other related conservation technologies.
- Outstanding and demonstrated leadership skills.
- Clean record of conduct (no convictions).
- Physically fit and able to be in field for extended periods (to undergo fitness and medical annually).
- Between 20 and 40 years of age.
- Driver’s license.
NB: Applications that are not meeting the above criteria will not be considered.
Interested candidates should forward their application letter together with all relevant documents to the email address provided below no later than 31st August 2023. The required documents should be submitted in scanned soft copies in pdf format as a single document) to firstname.lastname@example.org . Successful candidates will begin with an immediate effect.