Associate, Office Administration
About Evidence Action
Evidence Action is a global non-profit organization with an approach distinctive in international development - we exclusively scale interventions that are backed by strong evidence and can be delivered with exceptional cost-effectiveness. Our programs have grown since our founding in 2013 to reach over 280 million people annually. We deliver high impact for every dollar spent, as recognized by GiveWell, The Life You Can Save, and Charity Navigator.
We do development differently. We take a data-driven approach to identifying, scaling, and continuously improving programs which deliver immense impact, ensuring these solutions measurably improve the lives of millions. Our Deworm the World Initiative has helped governments in Africa and Asia deliver over 1.4 billion childhood deworming treatments, improving health, education, and incomes. Dispensers for Safe Water provides sustained safe water access to over 4 million people in rural Africa, preventing childhood illness and deaths.
We drive innovation. Our Accelerator builds the next generation of exceptional programs, taking an approach most similar to a venture capital model. We are ruthless in exciting programs which do not meet our criteria; those that advance deliver outsized impact for millions of people.
We are global. Across eight countries in Africa and Asia, our 400+ people are united by a tremendous passion for our mission and impact. We are strong because of our diversity of experience, geography, and background - with over 90% of our people in the countries where our impact is focused.
We have big ambitions. Our goal is to double our impact by 2024, to fulfill our vision of a world where hundreds of millions of people in the poorest places have better opportunities and their lives are measurably improved. We believe in bold and urgent action - because poverty doesn’t wait, and neither should we.
We need great people. Our success to date is due to the collective work of our amazing staff. To achieve our ambitious goals, we are looking for people who share our passion for evidence, cost-effectiveness, and scale. We seek individuals who take an entrepreneurial approach, enjoy tackling hard problems, and have a bias to action and results. If our vision and approach excite you as much as it does us, we invite you to join us.
To provide administrative support and management of the regional office in Kampala by ensuring effective coordination, planning, monitoring of office administration and logistics, reporting, and communication.
Duties and responsibilities:
Office Management and Safety:
- Ensure that all utilities are paid in time
- Ensure that office equipment is repaired on time, develop a maintenance schedule and make the appropriate requests
- Assist in managing office budgets and expenses, including monitoring and reconciling invoices and expense reports.
- Ensure office supplies are planned for and delivered to all offices.
- Ensure office setup is compliant to various internal and external procedures
- Ensure there is a clear policy on office keys’ possession and general office access
- Ensure the Kampala and other Offices are complaint to the existing internal and external safety and hygiene protocols and policies;
- Coordinate with HR on maintaining a list of safety volunteers (and their internal and external training),
Planning and Organizing:
- Support in planning for the execution of events, workshops, and seminars.at the Kampala office and other offices where need be.
- Manage workstation allocation to staff in Kampala and other offices.
- Work with Office Assistants and program field offices plus procurement to ensure there is an up to date fleet inventory is maintained; Conduct quarterly reviews on the fleet inventory report to clean it up.
- Monthly fuel reimbursement for all fleet.
- Always ensure office vehicles (by collaborating with field offices) are in proper working condition and all log book details are updated for all trip
- Work with the Senior Associate operations to ensure that the fleet in Uganda is compliant to both internal and National Road safety requirements
- Overall responsible for the online fleet tracking system and will act as the operations contact person with the vehicle tracking service provider. Collaborate with tracking company and the Program Offices to ensure that device tracking details match with online listing
- Conduct bi-weekly spot checks on the fleet and provide a rapid update on the status
- Supervise the Office assistants to ensure fleet data is submitted on time as per the existing protocol
- Make the appropriate follow-ups to ensure all Uganda Fleet are issued with logbooks upon acquisition and scanned copies are backed up in the Admin Shared Box folder
- Ensure there is a motorcycle safety policy and plan on how different teams will be trained.
- Support the Senior Associate Operations in Quarterly fleet data analysis and reporting
- Support the Senior Associate Operations during office and lease negotiation
- Work with other field office representatives to maintain an up-to-date list (in Admin shared box folder) of all office lease agreements and ensure its always up to date
- Support the Senior Associate Operations to prepare and maintain an updated tracker for all lease agreements in Uganda focusing on renewal terms, compliance to terms, duration and responsibility.
- In an event of office or guest house vacation in Kampala and other offices, follow-up with the agent(s) to ensure smooth handover and the deposit is reimbursed as per the lease agreement
- Manages the supply, control and issuance of inventory and stationary to office staff as needed.
- Ensure that all fixed assets with a value of $50 and above are tagged and incase of their disposal ensure that the asset tag is surrendered to IT
- In partnership with IT, conduct routine checks on fixed asset inventory to ensure the online Inventory management system for the fixed asset is accurate and efficient
- Ensure safe keeping of all equipment not in use.
- Develop and maintain relevant databases for office kitchen and hygiene supplies.
- Maintain an efficient filing system for optimal management of information and contacts.
- Support in development of Operations folder and files management convention.
- Manage the Admin box shared folder including development of shared folder use protocol and ensure that the Admin team comply with the file management convention.
- Ensure that all properties are insured appropriately and insurance is current.
- Manage the claims process in consultation with Finance, Procurement and HR.
- Liaises with both external and internal contacts in coordination with the Senior Associate Operations Manager to ensure follow-up and execution of planned activities. This includes but is not limited to Evidence Action collaborators, donors, partners, managers and staff as may be relevant.
Communications and correspondence support:
- Reviews correspondence to the office and provide the relevant case history;
- Ensure proper handling of responses to correspondence, receiving and dispatching official correspondence and communication (including letters, faxes, email, telephones etc.).
- In charge of processing and distribution of a variety of monthly and quarterly reports including: Logistics reports; Hotel reports, office supplies usage reports.
- Will support in development of fleet management report-bi-weekly spot-check updates and quarterly report.
- Monitor the Kampala office budget and support its preparation as needed.
Key performance Indicators
- Ensure all office assets beyond $50 are tagged appropriately.
- Inventory Accuracy: Sustain at least a 97.5% accuracy in the inventory data in the fresh service.
- Ensure adequate supply of office supplies for all offices at all time to prevent situation of stock run-outs - Average inventory.
- All common use office asset are well maintained an assets returned by program(s) and users are under safe custody.
- Timely payment of office utilities.
- Minimal security breaches.
- General office admin SOP is fully implemented in Kampala and other offices.
- Following opening and closing procedures.
- Office vehicle is fully compliant and always in good working condition.
- Uganda fleet inventory is fully up-to-date, and all fleet related incidents and cases are filed appropriately and follow-up for action.
- Guest (International and National) logistics support and accommodation booking as well as their surrenders are done on time.
- Bachelor’s degree in Administration, HR or any office operations related field;
- At least 3-4 years’ of work experience in a similar position within an international NGO is an added advantage;
- Ability to use computer packages such as (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and other office management software;
- Knowledge in using office equipment such as printers, photocopier, scanners etc.
- Confident decision maker who can communicate directions and solutions clearly to both technical and non-technical staff;
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing workloads with the ability to multitask and prioritize effectively;
- Strategic and tactical critical thinker with good analytical and problem solving skills and an ability to liaise well with others;
- Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision, prioritize tasks and able to meet deadlines;
- Knowledge of budgeting and financial management principles is an advantage;
- High level of discretion and confidentiality in handling sensitive information;
- Able to project the image of the organization in a positive and professional manner;
- Excellent organizational, time management, oral and written communication skills;
The official working hours is 8:00am to 5:00pm from Monday to Friday within the Evidence Action office; however, this position requires a flexible person as one may work beyond official working hours including weekends.
The positions will be based in Kampala, Uganda.
This job is not physically demanding but good physical and mental health are key.
- Logistics Officer, Kampala Office
- Office Assistant, Kampala Office
- Private Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
Equal Opportunity Statement
Evidence Action does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
How to Apply:
Visit the Evidence Action Website, under the careers page (https://apply.workable.com/evidence-action/), click on ‘’Associate, Office Administration’’ click apply and send in your application by Friday, 11th August, 2023.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED