AI Technicians Program Manager
As a holding company with cooperative and private ownership, URUS Group LP (“URUS”) is a family of businesses at the heart of the dairy and beef industry – Alta Genetics, GENEX, Jetstream, PEAK, SCCL and VAS. Each of these organizations has its own unique identity, products, and services. These companies work globally to provide cutting-edge dairy and beef genetics, customized reproductive services to maximize conceptions, dairy management information to take producers to the frontline of progressive dairy farming, and an array of products and services to help bovines reach their full genetic potential. URUS has revenues of about $400 million, has 25 operating companies in 14 countries and employs approximately 2,000 people. URUS is part of Pon Holdings, a Dutch family-owned group of companies with revenues of $7 billion and approximately 12,000 employees.
Is Africa the next Brazil of emerging markets in dairy genetics?
East Africa, URUS’ beachhead, is the continent’s leading milk producing
region, representing 68% of total milk production. Three East African
countries alone – Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania – have a combined 160
million people, over 5 million smallholder dairy farms, and 15 million
dairy cows. With an enthusiastic East African team and exceptional local
and international partners (including one of the world’s leading global
development organizations), URUS is positioned to become Africa’s
dominant force in dairy genetics within five years.
URUS is seeking a talented, energetic, and experienced person to launch and oversee URUS’ Artificial Insemination Technicians (AIT) Program, with the end goal of developing the AITs to become URUS’ primary sales channel in East Africa. The candidate will work closely with URUS headquarters and with the East Africa-based field staff. The position will be based in Kampala (Uganda), and the chosen candidate will relocate there for a minimum of 18-24 months. For more information on URUS’ East African activities:
Salary commensurate with level of experience.
1. Launch and grow the local network of URUS-contracted AI Technicians (AITs)
- Oversee the AIT Program rollout for Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania, including the recruitment, vetting, and onboarding of qualified AIT candidates.
- Help develop an AIT onboarding package, including contract, marketing and promotional materials.
- Identify and implement software solution for record keeping and reporting.
- Support the field staff in achieving monthly targets for training and contracting AITs in the three markets.
- Organize and lead training activities targeting AITs; develop materials and secure resources needed for best-in-class training and people development.
- Solve logistical challenges and find creative tactics to support business plan implementation and results.
- Identify best practices from other URUS operations, adapt and import to Africa, where appropriate.
- Coach, mentor and train country and regional sales managers to work effectively with AITs and develop their skills and capacity to manage the AIT Program, long term.
2. Support revenue growth of URUS’ AIT sales channel
- Develop business plans and annual sales targets for the sales channel. Achieve sales goals, working closely with each Regional Sales Manager.
- Draft and execute marketing plans, including tactics and activities related to communications, distributor/AIT events, and tradeshows.
- Lead and coordinate sales and AIT-related activities.
- Create and implement incentive mechanisms to stimulate channel growth.
- Develop a high-performing, local sales channel (AITs) by imparting commercial and management experience and fostering a performance-driven commercial culture.
Position Location and Travel
• This position will be based in Kampala. Minimum 18-24 months.
• The position will require local travel to rural African areas within Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania, as well as international travel to URUS or its Subsidiary headquarters (30-50%, local and international combined).
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education & Experience
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in dairy genetics and reproduction, in a managerial role and/or working with independent contractors.
• Experience working overseas in an emerging market or developing nation would be an asset.
• Field experience working directly with farmers and AI technicians.
• Advanced knowledge of bovine genetics and reproduction.
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in agriculture or business.
Skills & Competencies
• High-energy; ultra-passionate about dairy genetics and emerging markets;
• Strong industry background and technical/product knowledge;
• Proven experience in drafting impactful strategic/ business plans, budgets and reports.
• Exceptional attention to details; strong proficiency in managing workflows, documentation, timelines and milestones;
• Proven sales and business development abilities, with an entrepreneurial mindset;
• Strong people skills and able to collaborate in evolving environments with multiple stakeholders;
• Strong training/coaching/mentoring skills;
• Proven team builder, with a core strength in motivating and influencing others;
• Exceptional oral and presentation skills; strong English skills;
• Proactive business relationship management skills with a commitment to completing projects;
• Proficient in Microsoft Office;
Company Culture Alignment
• Trust – We choose to be vulnerable, speak up, and dare to be wrong;
• Transparency – We choose to be open and share;
• Empowerment – We choose to encourage people to own their decisions;
• Challenge – We choose to question and be questioned for better performance;
• Accountability – We choose to follow through and hold each other to that standard;
• Act – We choose to execute our plans when we are confident they will work;
• Results – We choose results over comfort and popularity.